Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Cheddar-Broccoli-Potato Soup

It's been a year and a half, so maybe I should post a new recipe.

If you're like me, you may love the concept of cheddar broccoli soup but find yourself overwhelmed by the cheddar-y-ness of it and giving up after one bite. Or maybe, like me, you keep trying, and just pick out the broccoli, sadly and pathetically shaking off as much of the broth as you can so you can have your precious broccoli untainted.

Whichever scenario you pick (I vacillate between the two), you're left unsatisfied.

I hear you. Which is why I altered the recipe from Our Best Bites. (What? I never EVER post their recipes, what is even happening?...Yes after a year and a half break, that is still my favorite cookbook and likely always will be.)

Here's what we do - we cut the amount of cheddar down from 4 cups to 2 cups, and instead of using sharp, we use medium.

Try it. Trust me. If you have found yourself bummed out by broccoli cheddar soup in the past, I think this is your solution. I feel it in my gut.

Also, the potatoes really add something. Go ahead and put in extra. Your picky kids who only want potatoes - ever - will thank you.

So, here's my recipe (adapted and changed from the original Our Best Bites version):

Ingredients: 

1.5 tablespoons butter
1 cup diced onion
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 (14.5 oz) cans chicken broth
1 large baking potato, peeled and diced into 1/2 inch cubes (I never have large baking potatoes on hand, so we just eyeball it. I think last time my husband did 3-4 smallish to medium size potatoes and it was perfect)
4 cups of broccoli florets and stems
3 ounces cream cheese
2 cups low-fat milk
6 tablespoons flour
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 cups shredded medium cheddar cheese
3 tablespoons fresh or 1 tablespoon dried parsley

Directions:

First, do your prep work. Recipes never include these steps and it's messed me up a time or two. Peel and chop that potato, dice that onion, chop that broccoli if you're doing it fresh (I always do frozen).

1. In a large stockpot, heat the butter over medium-high heat. When hot, add the diced onion. Saute for 1 minute, then add garlic. Saute 1-2 minutes longer or until onions are tender.

2. Add the chicken broth and potato and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the broccoli. Continue to simmer with the pot covered for about 5 more minutes or until both potatoes and broccoli are tender.

3. While the soup is simmering, combine cream cheese, milk, and flour in a blender and process until smooth. When potatoes and broccoli are tender, add the milk mixture to the pot. Season with salt and pepper.

4. Simmer for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until thickened. Remove from heat and stir in cheddar cheese and parsley.

Tip: Serve in bread bowls or with breadsticks!


1 comment: