Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Finnish Summer Vegetable Soup

Soup in summer? I know. It's hot. I get it. I don't think I've made soup even once this summer. Maybe you want to deviate a little from the skillet or maybe you just really love soup and want a good summery one...well here you go:

Finnish Summer Vegetable Soup

Ingredients:

2 small carrots, sliced
1 medium potato, cubed
3/4 cup fresh or frozen green peas
1 cup fresh or frozen cut green beans
1/4 small cauliflower, separated into florets
2 cups fresh spinach, cut up
2 cups water
2 cups milk
1/4 cup whipping/heavy cream
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
Dill weed

Directions:

1. Heat water, carrots, potato, peas, green beans, and cauliflower to boiling in 3 qt saucepan; reduce heat. Cover and simmer until vegetables are almost tender, 10-15 minutes.

2. Add spinach; cook uncovered about 1 minute. Mix 1/4 cup of the milk with the flour; stir gradually into vegetable mixture. Boil and stir 1 minute.

3. Stir in remaining milk, cream, salt and pepper. Heat until just hot. Garnish with dill weed.




The first time I made it, I took one look at the finished product and wasn't too sure about that. It was, however, surprisingly delicious. The potato really adds something, and the broth is flavorful, and the dill is just right. My husband and my son are always surprised how much they like it, too. We all sit around eating soup in summer with pleasantly surprised little looks on our faces. I invite you to do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment