Friday, March 28, 2014

Taco Soup (easiest recipe ever)

This is one of my go-to recipes. It's easy, quick, healthier, freezes beautifully, I always have the ingredients on hand, and everyone likes it. It's one of my safe bets when I am taking someone dinner or have guests. Toddler-approved, as well. And it's versatile. Throw in whatever you want. I have a friend who throws in a packet of ranch seasoning, another who adds green chilies. It's pretty foolproof.

Taco Soup

-Tomato juice (I either do a 59 oz can from Winco's store brand or the 64 oz plastic container in the juice aisle of any store)
-3 cans any beans (I invariably do 1 black and 1 kidney, and then I do 1 light bean such as pinto or great northern)
-Corn (eyeball it)
-Taco seasoning (about a packet's worth, if you have a container it's about 3 heaping tablespoons)

Throw it all in the crockpot for 5 hours.

(Or heat it on the stove, which takes about a half hour. I prefer crockpot, because who doesn't?)

Top with cheese, or whatever you choose! Some people like it with chips or sour cream.

I make some meals that call for, say, 6 oz tomato juice, leaving me with a lot of tomato juice left over. When that happens, I just grab a freezer bag and dump the remaining tomato juice into it along with the other ingredients for taco soup. Then I freeze it and when the time comes to eat it, I throw it in the crockpot for about 8 hours. It freezes exceptionally well. I always have a bag or two of it in the freezer as a backup meal for a crazy day, or if I'm asked to bring dinner to a neighbor who is sick or just had a baby. Sometimes I divvy it up into small containers or freezer bags so I can pull one out for my toddler's lunch.

*If you're a meat-eater, you can throw in half a pound to a pound of ground turkey or ground beef, but cook it on the stove first. The first time I served it to someone without meat, though, they said it was good enough that they didn't even notice the lack of meat. *Fist pump.*

No comments:

Post a Comment