Monday, June 23, 2014

Black Bean and Sweet Pepper Tacos

We all need to have a few quick, easy, healthy, tasty dinners in our repertoire. We deserve it! Life be crazy! This is one of mine - a go-to when I need dinner done in ten minutes, but I still want it to be healthy and yummy. We also deserve recipes we don't need to worry about following perfectly. I never actually follow the amounts for this one. And it's summer, and who wants to turn on the oven in the summer? Skillet all the way.

(I think we can all agree that vegetarian meals are prettier than meaty ones.)

Black Bean and Sweet Pepper Tacos

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons olive oil (I never measure the olive oil, and you could probably skip it and just sautee in water if you want to be extra healthy)
1 16 ounce package frozen stir-fry peppers (I use fresh peppers - I grab a couple from the store based on which ones are on sale - usually the green and red. Or if we have one of those bags of small sweet peppers for snacking and they're on their way out, I just use them up.)
2 cloves garlic, minced (Garlic is one of those ingedients you can almost always add more of, especially if you have the big jar of minced garlic in liquid)
1 15oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
1/4 teaspoon sea salt (I just sprinkle a little on, or omit it altogether)
2 teaspoons lemon or lime juice (I just take that little squeeze bottle of lime juice and squirt it around the pan a few times)
6-inch corn tortillas, warmed (I heat them on the stove, with or without oil, or if I'm pressed for time, in the microwave)
Shredded cheese for topping

(I also add brown rice mixed up with a little olive oil and Creole seasoning when the tacos are done.)

Directions:

1. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add peppers and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until peppers are tender and most of the liquid has evaporated. Stir in beans and salt; heat through. Remove from heat and stir in lemon or lime juice.

2. Lay tortillas flat and divide pepper mixture among tortillas. Top each with cheese and serve.

*You won't find that your life is changed or your taste buds have never experienced a love like this before. It's a fairly simple-tasting dinner, which is why I add extra garlic and cook up some minute brown rice while the peppers are cooking and then add in a drop of olive oil and sprinkle in some Creole seasoning - I find adding the rice w/Creole helps give some flavor to the tacos and adds a little more oomph so I don't have to eat a billion tacos to feel full. So like I said, this isn't the most exciting dinner you ever had in your life, but it's easy and good and we all need easy and good sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment