Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Mac and Cheese Style Cauliflower

You're going to have to trust me on this one.

You should watch as my toddler son and I demolish an entire pan of this within a few hours.

Cauliflower is in season right now, which makes it a great time to try cooking this deliciousness.

Here is the original recipe on Vegetarian Times (I've found some great recipes on this site):

http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipe/mac-and-cheese-style-cauliflower/
                                               



                                                                                                              














My remarks in aqua:     

***The most important thing you must know about this recipe: As the reviews say, it is twice as good reheated. So much better, in fact, I make it in the morning so it can refrigerate all day and we can have it reheated for dinner. It makes a big difference. It is most divine in leftover form.

Ingredients:

1 large head cauliflower (1 1/2 lb), cut into medium florets (8 cups) If you're not sure the cauliflower you're purchasing is big enough, grab two. If it's too much, freeze the rest.
2 TBS butter or margarine I do butter.
3 TBS all-purpose flour
2 cups low-fat milk I do skim
1 clove garlic, minced (1 tsp)
2 cups grated extra-sharp Cheddar cheese I used to go off-brand, and my husband thought this meal was all right, but when I switched to Tillamook, he suddenly loved it. So go Tillamook from the start and thank me later.
1/2 cup nutritional yeast Don't balk when you see the price (around $8.42/lb in the bulk section at Winco). Just get the 1/2 cup and you won't regret it. (Don't balk in bulk. Har.)
1 pinch cayenne pepper
2 egg yolks
1 1/2 cups fresh breadcrumbs The original recipe says to make fresh breadcrumbs in your blender, but I skip that and just use Italian seasoned breadcrumbs, also found in the Winco bulk section (and for cheap). I've done plain and I've done Italian and the latter is the way to go. And don't be stingy. Go all out sprinkling (okay dumping) them on. Let your toddler do it. The more the merrier. You can't have too many breadcrumbs in this recipe. They add a lot of yum to the experience.

***I add steamed peas at the very end, after baking, just to my individual portion. Just take 'em out of the freezer, heat 'em in a bowl in the microwave, and stir in with the stuff on your plate. But don't bake with the peas. Don't do it.

Directions:

1.  Preheat oven to 350 F. Bring large pot of salted water to a boil. Add cauliflower florets, and boil 5-7 minutes, or until just tender. Drain, reserving 1 cup cooking liquid, and set aside. Don't forget to reserve that liquid! I usually see that instruction in a recipe too late. Also, I cook the cauliflower for longer: more like 10-12 minutes. If the cauliflower is too firm it ruins the fun. I know because there was a general grumbling that one time I only cooked the cauliflower for 5-7 minutes. You want it soft.

2.  Melt butter in same pot over medium heat. Whisk in flour and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Whisk in milk, garlic, and reserved cooking liquid, and cook 7 to 10 minutes, or until sauce is thickened, whisking constantly. Remove from heat, and stir in cheese, nutritional yeast, cayenne pepper, and egg yolks until cheese is melted. Fold in cauliflower.

3.  Coat 13-x 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Spread cauliflower mixture in baking dish, and sprinkle with breadcrumbs. Spray breadcrumbs with cooking spray. Bake 30 minutes, or until casserole is hot and bubbly and breadcrumbs are crisp and brown.

My son has loved this since infancy. He thinks this is what mac and cheese is, so he refuses the Kraft stuff. I don't want to tell you it tastes just like mac and cheese, because I'm not that krafty (har). Think of it as its own meal with its own identity, rather than a healthy imitation of mac and cheese. And tell me if you love it as much as I do.

It's fun to watch my two-year-old shovel cauliflower and peas in his mouth while saying, "Mmm" on repeat. And remember: Tillamook cheese, and don't skimp on the Italian breadcrumbs.

Most importantly: I know it's repeated, but it's better reheated.

That rhyme was just for you.


No comments:

Post a Comment